February 9, 2012 was the longest, BEST, and most memorable gameday for the Thorntons to date.
Thanks April again for the adorable onesie. Lil peanut is too small right now, but we took it to the hospital and it would have been his first outfit if it would have fit.
The Day...Thursday, February 9, 2012
I woke up that morning feeling normal. I was about to eat a bowl of cereal @ 7:30am when my water broke. I have NO idea why I didn't eat a bowl of cereal anyway, but I was kind of in panic mode and wanted to get right to the hospital. I went to wake JT up...we were ready and at LMH by 8:00am. Our bags and stuff had been ready to go since I was 30 weeks along, so really all we had to do was let the dogs eat and go out.
I got checked into my room and after an eval learned that I was still 5cm dilated and about 80% effaced and at a -1. We were sent to walk the halls. The "pre-game walk thru"
![]() |
| I am looking into the nursery here :) |
My mom, dad, brother and Kim were all there with us thoughout the wait. It was nice to have family there. I hope they understand my privacy issues...I didn't want people in the room when the ya ya is all exposed. :) When it was time to push my mom was the only one in there with us. She was a rock as usual. Thanks for everything mom!
Before going into labor I was nervous that my doctor, Larisa, wouldn't be there with me until it was time to push. A couple of my friends who recommended me to her, said she came at the very end. While the nurses, at LMH are and were awesome, I just wanted Larisa there. Turns out God heard my prayers...Larisa had another patient, also named Ashley, who's water broke at approximately the same time as me that morning. How wild is that? Because we both were there, Larisa cancelled her clinic that day and spent the day at LMH.
Around 8:45pm (yes, that is 12 hours after I checked in) it was time to start pushing. I am calling this the 15th inning stretch. I pushed for approximately 2 hours (over 70 pushes). At 10:46 PM Isaiah Jae Thornton was added to the official roster. Weighing in at 6.2 19.5 inches long. So crazy he was born at 10:46 (46 was JT's college football number) I thought that was awesome. Total my labor was 15 hours. I could only have clear liquids all day. Pushing was difficult because I had absolutely no energy. I just kept thinking about the prize at the end...Isaiah was put on my chest directly after he came out. I just cried...It was the most incredible feeling. Something that I have been waiting on for a long time. I am finally a momma. JT was amazing throughout all of it. I can't believe I got so lucky with him for my partner. He is exactly what I wanted/needed for a mate. We are so thrilled to be parents to this precious gift from God.
Here are some photos of KU's newest recruit, Isaiah Jae Thornton- class of 2030.
| His poor head really swollen |
![]() |
| I wore these strips all day :) People probably thought I was so weird.. |
![]() |
| Of course, the Heisman pose with Dad. |
![]() |
| Love this football blanket from Grandma |
So little...
We had very few visitors at the hospital. I was too tired and wanted some time to try to rest. Thanks to everyone who came by and saw us. Sorry I was a hot mess :)
Today 2/13/12 we took Isaiah to get weighed, he was 5lbs, 15 ounces. Breastfeeding is so hard right now...That was another one of my worries, hopefully things get better soon. Getting ready for a long night with Isaiah. I look at him and just cry tears of joy of course (I am way more emotional post pregnancy that I was during, it's weird) I still can't believe he's mine.
![]() |
| First weigh in... |








How sweet! Thanks for sharing with everyone Ashley! He is perfect! Breast feeding will get easier. Just be patient with it.. don't put a lot of pressure on yourself. Before too long you will both have it figured out.
ReplyDeleteHe's just perfect! I can't believe he's so tiny! Who'd have thought?
ReplyDeleteBreastfeeding was hard for me in the beginning too, but it definitely got easier. One thing I would suggest trying, if you haven't already, is a nipple shield. You can get one Target, it's a silicone shield that goes over your nipple with holes in the end. It did wonders to ease my pain and it was easier for the baby too. A lot of people will try and tell you that if you use one of those then the baby won't take to the breast later, but I didn't find that to be the case. It basically saved me from ever having to give The Kid formula!
He is so tiny! Glad labor went well, I was in labor for 24 hrs and only pushed for 1 hr, I don't know if I would have been able to push for another hour! I was way more emotional after the pregnancy as well, especially at night and when my mom would leave...but everyone kept telling me just give it two weeks and it will get easier and it truly did so keep that in mind! So happy for you guys, it's truly an amazing time and the whole "I just look at him and cry" thing doesn't go away! I look at Jaris still and wonder how I'm so blessed! Suck up every bit of those 12 weeks (I'm super jealous by the way ;)), God is good!
ReplyDelete