Friday, December 7, 2012

Date that will live in infamy

My mom bought me Boston my Junior year of college. At the time Boston was replacing my out of state boyfriend. I needed a cuddle buddy. Not even 8 years later (now) we had to say goodbye. It's not fair, he was only 7.

Tuesday we took him to the vet convinced that for him it was time. The vet said there was 1 more heart medicine we should try. From Tuesday to today he got so bad so fast.

I talked with Kim last night who said, you'll know it's time when they've lost interest in three things they love most. I had never heard that before but it makes a ton of sense. For B those things were:

1. Me
2. Bones
3. "car rides"

And starting Wednesday he had lost interest in all those things. I knew he was doing really bad when I would get home and he wouldn't move to come greet me. Work this week has been so difficult. All I could think about was poor B at home not feeling well. This am I had to make the hardest phone call I've ever had to make...an appointment to send Boston to doggy heaven. Words cannot express the sadness we feel. I am blessed that I have healthy family and friends and that my son, Isaiah, is healthy. Not that the timing is ever good to say goodbye to a pet, but right before Christmas and an unexpected sudden illness really hurts.


Boston's final car ride (don't mind me...I am a hot mess)
Lately, I've been so annoyed with Facebook. But on days like today, the support and comments from friends and family have been very encouraging. Most of them make me cry, but in time I know I will find peace. More than anything, Mr. B is no longer suffering and that is what is most important.

Ironically, today I was supposed to attend the "Go Red for Women" luncheon at work. A luncheon and fundraiser for heart disease. It really is a "silent killer" even for dogs. Boss' heart has probably been bad for months. We just never knew it.

Thankful for my support system. JT, you are my rock! Thanks for being such a great doggie daddy. You bring and have brought our dogs so much joy over the years.

Boston, I love you and will think of you every single day!

Our last video. Taken this am. I had to lift B on and off the couch.



Boston's First Snow


Boss as a young pup
Loved sleeping on the top of the couch- ruined cushions, but I didn't care
my little guy

Car ride co captains

Poor Ahli will be lost

My happy guy!

Card says- "In loving memory of sweet Boston" 
Flowers from sweet Carolyn, her momma Susan, Bobby and Petrie Roo- (former best friend and roommate of B). I've never cried with sadness and smiled at sweetness like I did when I got these flowers. Thank you so much sweet friends.


Here are some of Boss from his final days...
He didn't really want to be held :(
Boss and I- one of our last lunchtime snuggles.  12-6-12

Spent lunchtime sunning on our deck- Tuesday 12-4-12



No comments:

Post a Comment