Sunday, April 24, 2011

April 23rd...A sad night

JT and I were headed to the store last night around 6pm. We had just turned left on E. 17th & Harper when we saw a guy on a motorcycle flying down the street approaching the the s curve at Harper. He was going so fast he took the curve wide. When he saw that we were headed that way he tried to get back in his lane.

At this point everything was in slow motion... The man lost control of his bike and went flying off it right in front of us. We were about 20 yards away from a very bad situation. This poor man flew off his bike and hit the street head first without a helmet. He then skidded across the street a bit and his body hit the curb. His daughter and son were traveling in a pick up truck behind him. They saw everything as well. :( I can't imagine their pain. My dad had a motorcycle wreck and I can still feel pain in my heart when I think about that night. And I didn't see it happen.

We all rushed out of our cars to help him. I can't get his daughters screaming out of my head. The man was conscious, but his head was bleeding pretty bad. I was wearing a sports bra and t shirt. I immediately gave his son my t shirt to apply pressure to his bleeding head. JT was helping the man while I was trying to call 911 on my i phone calculator. Yes...I pulled up the calculator to call 911 which isn't like me. I am usually pretty good under stress and pressure. I was just shaking and couldn't believe JT and I were so close to having a motorcyclist crash into my windshield. So many of the surrounding neighbors were outside. The ambulance arrived very quickly.

Around 7pm I learned by breaking LJW news that the man (his name was Charles or Charlie) had been life flighted. I asked his daughter his name so I could pray for him but she was so shaken up I couldn't tell what she said. God knows who he is.

Here is the article. I am anxiously awaiting updates on his progress. Until then I will continue to count my blessings and pray for his recovery.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/apr/23/lifestar-helicopter-again-dispatched-motorcycle-ac/

If you have a motorcycle or know someone who does, PLEASE preach the importance of a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment