Friday, May 13, 2011

I think I can, I think I can

Thursday of this week I was asked by a collegue to do community service for the City of Lawrence. I got to spend the morning with a good friend and co-worker, Megan Harrity beautifying Union Pacific Depot. We planted a lot of flowers out in their garden area. (Who knew plantig flowers was a workout) I am sore today. Megan next time, I get the knee pad :)
I had such a good time doing this for three reasons. 1) I got to spend time with Megan  2) Doing work such as gardening is instantly gratifying. I love seeing results right away 3)  I was doing something good for my community.


We didn't plant yellow tulips, but I didn't have my phone to take a photo of our work and when searching for photos online I found this one and had to pick it as yellow tulips remind me of my mom, they are her favorite.


For those of you who don't know....I LOVE trains. I got to hear a lot of them while planting flowers. Trains also remind me of my mom. When I was younger my mom compared any train to Thomas the Train. She always said, trains were good luck and when I heard a train I should think postitive.  I am 27 years old and still say to myself, "I think I can, I think I can" nearly every time I hear a train. I know...it's pretty corny, but sadly it's true.

Quick story about KU Cheerleading tryouts in 2002. I was a senior in high school preparing for the most nerve racking weekend of my life. I went to bed early on a Friday night so I would be be rested for the next days tryout in Lawrence. I had my own telephone line, which all teens should :) When I woke up Saturday morning, I saw a blinking light on my answering machine. On my machine was the most horrible message from two girls from my school. There was loud music in the backgroud...they were at a party that of course I wasn't invited to. I don't remember all of the message, but I do remember. "Ashley, nobody likes you so do us all a favor and jump off a bridge" I fell to the ground crying, losing complete focus on the task at hand which was making my childhood dream come true. I hope the two girls who are now my "friends" on Facebook are reading this and regreting how cruel they were. It was nice that I was crowed Coutwarming Queen over some of these mean girls. I tried my best to be nice to everyone. Not sure why they hated me so much, but it made me stronger so I should thank them. My mom ran upstairs found me on the floor hysterical and was PISSED. I moved to a new highschool my sophomore year. Let's just say, I didn't have the best luck with a lot of the girls. I can't believe how mean they were. My mom made me get it together enough to get ready for tryouts. On the way out the door to Lawrence, we heard a train which was odd because we never heard trains where we lived. It was a sign from God. A few days later, my dream became a reality when I made the final cut. KU Cheerleading was such a wonderful experience for me. It allowed me to meet three of my best friends, Meryl, Abbey and Carolyn,  who are still some of my best freinds today. For fun...some old photos I couldn't resist posting.



Abbey, Me & Meryl- Love this!
We wore old school uniforms to celebrate the 50th Reunion of Allen Fieldhouse


Cheer Camp in Chicago- Summer 2006
Bridesmaids-Abbey, Andrea, Meryl & Carolyn- Photo by Anne Pendleton Photography

FB @ Colorado- 2006


It was raining we had to do indoors so here we are in Allen Fieldhouse - Photo by Anne Pendleton Photography
 Thanks Mom and Dad for always being my personal cheerleaders. Thanks for encouraging me, teaching me to treat others how I want to be treated, and thanks for making me a Jayhawk :)

ROCK CHALK!

3 comments:

  1. The pictures bring back great memories. Those were great times! They certainly make up for the not-so-good high school days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Ash! You are such a beautiful person- inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey ashley, i came across your blog while i was perusing through facebook.

    i just have to say, here i thought that you had the perfect high school years! it looks like you are doing great for yourself and i'm happy to see (read) that =)))

    ReplyDelete