Wednesday, October 26, 2011

$7,900 bone, MILLION DOLLAR DOG!

My world was flipped upside down yesterday (Oct. 25th) when my vet from the Eudora Animal Hospital told me to "prepare myself and know that anything could happen" with my sick boxer girl, Ahli.

I took her into the vet on Oct. 24th because she had been throwing up for about a week and a half. I was waiting for her sickness to run it's course because she was running, jumping and eating. The vet instructed me to bring her back in the am if she gets worse. That night Ahli threw up 5 or so times. (She was only preparing me for Isaiah) In the am on 10/25 I took her in again. The vet felt her belly and felt a "knot"

They x rayed her and performed a Barium study. I waited all day to hear if the barium had passed thru her digestive tract as it should. I was suppose to hear at 3. The phone call came in at 5:20 and the news was heart wrenching. I said to him, "prepare myself as in my dog could die?" His answer was "she is very sick". I immediately called JT who was working until 8. His boss, Laura and Dale, have been so wonderful and understanding. JT got to come home early. Dale the owner of the dealership told him to go pick me up, and go get our dog and take her to bluepearl emergency clinic in Overland Park.

I was hesitant because I knew Ahli was dehydrated and was on iv's. I had to respect JT's wishes and thoughts. We ended up picking her up and I am SO glad we did. She wagged her tail and was so happy to see us. We drove her to Overland Park. On the way there she threw up in the car and just laid on my lap. I was loving on her so much.

After checking her in and taking some more x rays the doctor told me surgery would be needed to find out what was blocking her digestive tract. I was pretty certain it was pieces of a hard plastic bone. I found it missing pieces and wondered about it. DON'T ever buy your dog an Astro Bone. I am tempted to sue them.
http://www.astrobone.com/products.html

Last night was a LONG night. I am kind of worried about myself as a mother because I can't handle high stress situations very well when it comes to people/dogs I love hurting. I have to try to hold myself together for Isaiah.

Fast forward to 3:00pm today when I got the call from the surgeon. The surgery was more complicated than we all thought/hoped it would be. Ahli had pieces of bone throughout her small intestine. They had to remove 75-80% of her small intestine. We are beyond devistated. She did wake up from surgery which is a blessing! Now the recovery process will begin. She CAN survive with only 20% of her small intestine left, it just means smaller meals more frequently. Thanks to all our family and friends for their support and prayers. Our sissy girl is everything to us and we just want to bring her home.

Not sure how we're going to pay the nearly $7,500 hospital bill and the $400 vet bill, but we'll find a way because God is good and he always takes care of us. With a baby on the way, I was already stressed about money. We would do anything for our dog and we're just happy she was at a really good emergency clinic.

PLEASE pray for Ahli and her recovery.



Ahli and Grandma 
Loves LOVES her daddy! 

best friends 




Mommy misses you Ahli...you've got me worried sick. Be the fighter you are! We love you!

5 comments:

  1. Grandma loves you Ahli and Im so proud of you Ashley and JT...keep strong...together....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that, Ashley. She looks like such a sweet dog :] I'll be praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong everyone...we are thinking about you. We are lovin' you all the way from New Orleans. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am throwing away our puppy's astrobone right now, thank you for the heads up! I'm so sorry you guys are going through this, and that your poor puppy had to suffer this way. I'm praying for you guys that she'll make a full recovery.

    You two should look into buying pet insurance for the future. We have TruPanion, and they reimburse 90% for accidents, so it would have helped considerably in this case. I think for Sandy it's $24/month, I'm not sure if they offer discounts for the second dog or not, but it's worth looking into, especially with the baby coming.

    ReplyDelete